YOU Belong Support Group
YOU Belong is a program run by Youth Opportunities Unlimited, a not-for-profit organization that offers training, education, employment, informal counselling and transitional housing for youth in London.
The goal of YOU Belong is to provide a safe space for queer youth and their allies to support one another, develop life skills, and form a peer community. Events are open to anyone between the ages of 16 and 24 who agrees to the group guidelines.
Group meets Wednesdays from 7:00 - 9:00pm
The goals of the group are:
- Offer the opportunity for youth to connect to one another as a community;
- Engage in semi-structured activities that promote self-awareness, respect, self-esteem, and self-confidence;
- Educate youth about the impact of internalized homophobia on themselves and others;
- Recognize the need for connection, alliances, and pride for a healthy self-concept;
- Identify facets that comprise healthy GLBT+ relationships within the context of an oppressive social environment;
- Support, share, learn, and listen to others' coming out stories;
- Practice communication skills so that we can share thoughts and feelings in ways that promote connection;
- Dialogue about relevant social issues that pertain to and define the greater GLBT+ community.
- Create a safe space for youth to participate in discussions and receive support while dealing with matters related to sexual orientation/identity;